Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Rodney Kent -- is it the real thing?

I guess I will have to leave this up to the readers....
My newest prize for my collection arrived in it's box and all. The box is marked "#480, ice bucket" with the Rodney Kent logo, the shield that says "Creations by Rodney Kent" on the box.  Not surprisingly, it is not the same quality as the one that I received from my uncle. The one that he received as a wedding present in the late 40's. The detail and craftsmanship were exquisite. The handles has the petals slightly curled and the center of the flower was rounded like a half moon.

The ice bucket that I had received weeks before was not like that at all. The pattern was not trimmed as clearly. The flower had less dimension. Definitely less effort towards quality. But I will let you be the judge
The original single flower  handle.

The single flower handle from the ice bucket that I bought on eBay. Notice the excess around the motifs, particularly at the ends of the ribbon where the rivet is.

The Nasco, Italy handle. This company copied many Rodney Kent designs with little twists that made some people believe it was a Rodney Kent design.

The tab handle on a Lazy Susan #471 that I received in it's original box from early to mid 1940's.


Another view of the ice bucket handle, with no excess and good dimension in the design.

Finally, the newest addition to my collection, the Mint condition, never used ice bucket that came in the box with the original tag. Notice that there is some excess but the dimension is improved and except in the corners of the petals, it has been trimmed clean.
 
 
What I think this exercise has shown it that the handles with the clean trim and the well rounded petals were produced no later than 1949 and that the ones with excess were produced after 1944 and before 1963, because that was when  the two digit postal code as seen on the hangtag was used.  The Krischer Metal Products Company evolved in both design and quality. In the thirty years that this pattern was produced, it went through many iterations.

No comments:

Post a Comment